Gabion Mattress - Welded or Woven Mesh Types
Gabion mattress has lower height than the gabion box to be used in more slope applications.
Gabion mattress, also called Reno mattress or Mac mattress, is made of steel hexagonal wire mesh. Gabion mattress are filled with rocks at the construction site to form flexible, permeable, monolithic structure.
Gabion mattress are manufactured with the same materials with gabion box, which is including galvanized wire, zinc coated wire and PVC coated wire. However, the gabion mattress has much lower height than the gabion box. The height of gabion box is commonly 0.5 to 1 m while the gabion mattress has a maximum 0.3 m height.
Materials of gabion mattress
Gabion mattress has different materials, including galvanized steel wire, PVC coated steel wire and zinc-aluminum alloy steel wire.
- Galvanized steel wire. Galvanized wire gabion mattress is the most widely used type, which has electric galvanized and hot dipped galvanized material. It has relatively high corrosion and rust resistance performance for durable life.
- PVC coating steel wire. PVC coating steel wire has different colors, which can make the gabion mattress be blended with surrounding environments.
- Zinc-aluminum alloy coated wire. It including 5% aluminum - zinc alloy steel wire, which is known as the Galfan wire and the 10% aluminum - zinc alloy steel wire. They can supply triple life than the galvanized steel wire.
Galvanized gabion mattress.
PVC coating gabion mattress.
Types of gabion mattress
Gabion mattress has different types, which including different height, length and width. Additional, the gabion mattress can be divided into woven mesh gabion mattress and welded wire gabion mattress according to different technology.
Woven mesh gabion mattress. It is flexible and durable, which can be used in the differential settlement applications.
Welded gabion mattress. It is solid and rigid, which can be used in the slope protections.
Welded gabion mattress.
Woven mesh gabion mattress.
Specifications of gabion mattress
- Material: galvanized steel wire, PVC coating wire, Zinc-aluminum alloy wire.
- Wire diameter:
- galvanized/Galfan wire diameter: 2.0 mm - 3.0 mm
- PVC coating wire diameter: 2.0/3.0 mm - 3.0/4.0 mm.
- Selvedge wire diameter: 3.4 mm.
- Lacing wire diameter: 2.2 mm.
- Mesh size:
- woven gabion mattress: 6 cm × 8 cm, 8 cm × 10 cm, 10 cm × 12 cm and other sizes are available.
- Welded gabion mattress: 1/4", 1/2", 3/8", 3/4", 1", 2", 3", etc.
- Cage size:
Cage specs of gabion mattress
Features of gabion mattress
- Flexible. The woven mesh gabion mattress is flexible, which can be used in the differential settlements.
- Rigid and solid. The welded gabion mattress has a rigid and solid structure to be used for a long service life.
- High corrosion and rust resistance. High quality corrosion resistance materials including galvanized steel wire, PVC coating wire and zinc-aluminum alloy wire.
- Acid and alkali resistance. Can be used in the harshest environments.
- Protective. Widely used in the slopes, river banks to prevent flood and water erosion.
- Environmental friendly. The plants can grow between the stone gaps.
- Blend with environment. The PVC coating wire gabion mattress can blend with the surrounding environments, which make the place beautiful.
- Easy to assemble. The assembly of gabion mattress is easy and need no special tools.
Applications of gabion mattress
Gabion mattress is used for river bank and scour protection, bridge and weir protection, channel linings and erosion control. It is also widely used for the embankment stability.
The woven gabion mattress can be used in the differential settlement applications and the welded gabion mattress can be used in the landscape constructions.
Gabion mattress for river bank protection.
Gabion mattress for bridge protection.